Friday, February 12, 2010

Marketing Mistakes on Social Media

There are several marketing mistakes I have noticed on the social media sites. And the cause of these mistakes is impatience. Most people don’t want to take the time to be social on the social media sites. Some one has told them: “Hey, social media is a great way to market your business.” So, they jump right on and start posting their links. BIG MISTAKE. I have to admit, I made the same mistake. I guess I was so bad I had friends who wouldn’t even return my direct messages. That’s bad. But, it didn’t take me long to learn this was pointless.

Mistake number 1: In your very first contact with a person you talk about your business or give them your link. Think about it. Is this how you would like to be approached? Wouldn’t you want to know the person a little bit first. When someone tells me they can show me how to make $10,000 in 30 days, this is my response: Really, and how long have you been with this company? Most of the time they answered, well I just started but….. Conversation Over on my part.

Mistake number 2: Friending Everybody. Now I know you have to start somewhere so take this in the context that you have developed a few hundred friends all ready. At that point, you need to start building relationships. Start learning who people are, what are their interests, and what companies do they represent? If you show genuine interest in a person, more than likely they will show interest in what you do. I think it is important, at this point to start weeding out your contact list. Why keep a contact when you absolutely know you will not do business with this person? You, also, need to categorize each person. Are they a networker? Do they represent a certain company? Did you like each other?

I am still learning the everyday little nuances of using social media. I hope I can keep learning what works and help others to succeed in networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment